Friday 1 April 2011

Things I don't like

For every 7 positive blog posts you write, you must write a negative one. I think there's a law like somewhere.

And since most things make me happy or at least don't cause any ripples in my tranquil pool of complacency, it is high time that I throw in the towel, rustle up my indignation, and carpe diem!



Ahem.

I shall begin.

I don't like it when students talk during lectures. There's almost always a constant murmur that obscures what the professor is saying. I'm pretty sure it's a cultural phenomenon or one of the perils of attending a large university. I guess when there are so many other students, you don't have to worry about whether or not the teacher sees you talking--she won't know who you are anyway.

Tangent: Thanks to my Caucasian half and my fondness for the vocalization of English [read: I talk a lot (but to the professor, not the kid sitting next to me)], my professor knows my name even though I'm in a class with 500+ students. It's sort of impossible for me to blend in here.

I don't like it when team members don't do their work. I guess this would bother me more if our team assignments were long or interesting. As it is, the poor participation is merely a tiny fly buzzing about my cranium that I can swat away by doing everyone's work for them. It's all about the joy of learning, right? And I get more joy!

Whoa there, Tonto. We're verging on the positive. I will attempt to sink back into dismal pessimism.

I don't like people who stare at me. This happens a lot here. Maybe because I don't look Asian. Maybe because I carry empty five gallon paint buckets and a meter of PVC pipe around and everyone else just has a book bag. Maybe because I'm pretty tall and fashion challenged compared to the wisps of Asian women everyone is used to seeing flit on by. Who knows?

I don't like mice, but I haven't seen any here. I don't like Lyme disease, but I haven't caught it. I don't like being alone, but I'm not because I have you!

All right, that's as negative as I can get.

It's lovely and cool this evening, and I have a slice of pineapple to dine on!

How swell!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're meeting your quota to keep this blog fair & balanced :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like honesty, especially when it is as graceful as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually found the "constant murmuring" phenomenon to exist in all the classes I've been to in France.

    I think it's a combination of students being graded in attending class and the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree with Steven. I think it also has to do with the noninteractivity of the lectures. When the professor slips up or says something confusing, people consult their neighbors about it instead of asking the professor, and the murmur rises.

    ReplyDelete